The Vallecula is an interactive mini sound installation using Max MSP and Arduino. It utilizes 20 different custom Max MSP patches, triggering 100 vocal samples, for people to play and enjoy. All of the patches and samples were created and performed/recorded by Ivory Smith.
* The center buttons trigger slow chords
* The right round button on the right triggers melodic bursts
* The left round button triggers the poem
* The left knobs manipulate the pitch center and tempo of all the samples
* The left on/off switch controls the direction of all the samples
* The right on/off switch controls the octave of the melodic bursts
* The two left knobs control the amount of tremolo applied to the long chords and to the amount of ring modulation applied to the melodic bursts
Consequently, the melodies generated are constantly shifting. Each trigger of the poem and melodic bursts creates different melodic and rhythmic patterns.
If you would like a more in depth look at the Vellecula and the tools used to create it please see Ivory’s blog entry, The making of the Vallecula, an interactive mini sound installation.